classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing second instance of Artifactory on same Linux machine

odecca4
Hi everyone,
I am trying to install second stand alone instance of Arttifactory on a linux server thats already running existing instance. I can't bring up second instance at all. Are there any instruction for this activity? Did anyone do this before and can give me some pointers?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Installing second instance of Artifactory on same Linux machine

denebeim
What are you trying to do?  It's possible to do this, you need to add artifactory to another user account, look at the tomcat/config directory and move the port artifactory comes up on. Make sure you're not using the same base directories.  Copy /etc/init.d/artifactory then edit the second one to use the new location.  However there really isn't a good reason to do this as far as I know.

The main issue is storage.  If you have two artifactories you'll end up with two datastores.  Since artifactory automatically dedupes all of the artifacts uploaded to it we tend to take quite a bit less space than you would using a flat file system for the same artifacts.

Also artifactory provides very fine grained user access.  You can completely control who can see what repositories and artifacts.  You can even provide totally different artifacts from the same URL depending on who you're logged in as.

Again, if you could tell me what you're trying to do I could tell you how to do it.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM odecca4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am trying to install second stand alone instance of Arttifactory on a
linux server thats already running existing instance. I can't bring up
second instance at all. Are there any instruction for this activity? Did
anyone do this before and can give me some pointers?

Thanks

--
View this message in context: http://forums.jfrog.org/Installing-second-instance-of-Artifactory-on-same-Linux-machine-tp7580609.html
Sent from the Artifactory - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Jay Denebeim | Solutions Engineer | JFrog 3945 Freedom Circle | Santa Clara | CA 95054 U.S Toll Free: +1.888.494.2855 | Tel: +1.408.329.1540 This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. The content of this message may contain private views and opinions, which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment unless specifically stated.

Reply | Threaded
|

odecca4
Thanks for your response.

I am trying to stand up another instance to replicate a process i will go through in prod.

We have artifactory now running on MySQL. I am trying to move it Oracle.

So my plan is to stand up second instance, connect it to Oracle. Migrate data and artifacts. Turn off instance that's running on MySQL

Getting a new server to get this done is not an option for me. It would have been a lot easier to do that.

please let me know if you have any more advice. I look forward to your response.  Thanks!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

denebeim
Have you considered doing this with docker?  Its really the right tool for what you're trying to do.

However the file you're going to want to edit is $ARTIFACTORY_HOME/tomcat/conf/server.xml you can get artifactory running on a different port from there.  don't forget to make another user for the other artifactory (not actually necessary, but way safer)

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM odecca4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your response.

I am trying to stand up another instance to replicate a process i will go
through in prod.

We have artifactory now running on MySQL. I am trying to move it Oracle.

So my plan is to stand up second instance, connect it to Oracle. Migrate
data and artifacts. Turn off instance that's running on MySQL

Getting a new server to get this done is not an option for me. It would have
been a lot easier to do that.

please let me know if you have any more advice. I look forward to your
response.  Thanks!!!!

--
View this message in context: http://forums.jfrog.org/Installing-second-instance-of-Artifactory-on-same-Linux-machine-tp7580609p7580618.html
Sent from the Artifactory - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
Jay Denebeim | Solutions Engineer | JFrog 3945 Freedom Circle | Santa Clara | CA 95054 U.S Toll Free: +1.888.494.2855 | Tel: +1.408.329.1540 This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. The content of this message may contain private views and opinions, which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment unless specifically stated.